NYC Municipal Archives Collections
Department of Public Works, 1939-1973. 20,000 images in collection; 728 in gallery. Established in 1939, the Department of Public Works assumed the functions of the former Department of Plant & Structures and took over the responsibility for the maintenance of public buildings from the borough presidents. The images are similar to the Department of Bridges/Plant & Structures series; public buildings and vehicles are well-represented in the collection. The 64 Kodachrome transparencies dating between 1939 and 1940 are some of the earliest color images in the Archives. They document all the major bridges and public buildings overseen by the DPW. Approximately 20,000 8" x 10" gelatin-silver prints and acetate negatives of varying sizes. 600 glass lantern slides and 64 -35mm color transparencies.