NYC Municipal Archives Collections
Bridges/Plant & Structures, 1901-1939. 20,000 images in collection. With consolidation of the Greater City of New York in 1898, all bridges over waterways were placed under jurisdiction of the newly-formed Department of Bridges. In 1916, Bridges merged with Public Works and became the Department of Plant & Structures with responsibility for streetcar lines, ferryboats, sewers, waste disposal facilities, homeless shelters, and bridges. The photographs are numbered in three series: General Series, Series III (Manhattan Bridge) and Series IV (Queensboro Bridge). The General Series includes construction of the Municipal Building, as well as images of ferry boats, trackless trolleys, buses, street scenes, construction laborers, office workers, and panoramas. From 1906 to 1934, the Department employed a single photographer, Eugene de Salignac. 12,500 8" x 10" gelatin-silver and cyanotype prints and 20,000 8" x 10" glass plate and acetate negatives in collection.